Willows Construction Ltd.is a full service heavy construction company offering services throughout Alberta. We work in both civil and oilfield environments and have a wide range of operation locations. We operate on three key principals: Service, Safety and Satisfaction. We understand the importance of applying all Health, Safety and Environmental procedures. Our customers’ satisfaction is a priority we take seriously. Punctuality, respect of co-workers, cleanliness of equipment and tools and suggestions by employees all form a positive culture that Willows Construction strives for in the workplace.
Willows Construction is currently looking for generallabourersto join our team in Drayton Valley, Alberta. We are looking for workers currently residing within 100 km of Drayton Valley.
The selected candidate will be assigned to one or more work sites. As a labourer, you will be reporting to site supervisors. Work sites can be overseen by the operations manager or Chief Operations Officer and can be assessed by the company HSE Coordinator.
The applicant will be required to perform manual physical labour as assigned by the site supervisor or assigned lead. Use of small equipment may be required. Showing a willingness to follow instructions will advance the worker to greater work site responsibilities including the operation of small equipment.
Reporting to the site supervisor, the successful labourer will be safety oriented with a drive to assist the project in getting completed. The labourer is to accomplish tasks not done with the use of heavy equipment. An array of duties may be required of the position, mostly relying on physical abilities.
The daily tasks of the general labourer involve showing up at the worksite at the designated time as advised by the site supervisor.
Main duties may include:
- Following instructions given by a supervisor or equipment operator to complete assigned tasks.
- Daily inspection of tools and equipment as well as working safely through all assigned tasks.
- Following and complying with all provincial legislations, company policies and procedures and client requirements is a necessity to performing daily duties.
- Loading and unloading construction materials, and moving materials to work areas.
- Assisting heavy equipment operators to secure special attachments to equipment, signal operators to guide in moving equipment and provide assistance in other activities.
- Assisting with any end of day clean up, including cleaning of any equipment as needed.
- Levelling earth to fine grade specifications using rake and shovel
- Removing rubble and other debris at construction sites using rakes, shovels, wheelbarrows and other equipment
- Operating pneumatic hammers, vibrators and tampers as directed
- Tending to equipment used in construction such as mixers, compressors and pumps
- Cleaning up chemical spills and other contaminants
- Oil and grease hoists and similar equipment
- Directing traffic at or near construction sites
- Any other duties as required
Scope of the Position
This is an entry level position with the applicant having minimal construction site skills working under the direction of a mentor or site supervisor. The labourer must be able to follow instructions as given, provide feedback and demonstrate proper operation of equipment to complete assigned task(s). Physical labour and lifting is a requirement.
Ensure equipment readiness
- The general labourer will ensure the proper tools and equipment are ready and inspected daily at the worksite.
- Pick up equipment from the shop when requested and ensure proper staged at the worksite for use.
- Ensure field equipment is organized and returned to the shop when needed.
- Assist at the shop as directed to inspect, clean and store equipment.
- Assist with ensuring trucks and equipment are clean and organized.
Ensure safety requirements (Provincial, Company, Client) are met
- Have necessary Person Protective Equipment clean and ready for daily use. The worker is responsible for supplying leather work gloves, high visibility vest and CSA approved work boots with minimum 6” ankle support.
- All safety equipment is in good condition and is used properly.
- Any concerns with the safe operation of equipment or the awareness of any unsafe work or acts are reported immediately to the site supervisor.
- All first aid and any incidents are reported and necessary documentation is completed and presented to the site supervisor
Ensure completion of task/projects done within timeline
- It is expected of the general labourer to complete assigned tasks within the time period given by the supervisor. If unable, ensure the supervisor is advised promptly to provide alternative directions or assistance.
Provide necessary documentation
- Documentation is required to show completion of inspections of all equipment, tools and vehicles.
- Hazard assessments and pre-job safety meetings are to be documented and signed off prior to commencing work.
- Any first aid or work site incidents are to be reported in to your supervisor immediately and necessary reports completed.
- Time records are properly completed, signed off by supervisor and turned into office for payroll processing.
- Minimum Grade 12
- Current safety tickets: ACSA’s Construction Safety Training System (CSTS-09) or CSO (Common Safety Orientation, Enform), eGSO (Enform), H2S Alive, and Standard First Aid & CPR/C (ST. John Ambulance preferred)
Other Key Skills, Knowledge or Requirements
- Selected applicant may be required to successfully pass a pre-employment, client requested, post-incidentor random Drug and Alcohol Tests. Negative results from these tests may result in the applicant not obtaining a position or being removed from work sites.
- Pre-employment physical demand testing may be required to determine level of work permitted to perform.
- Approximately 1 year experience in construction, farm or physical demand work would be an asset.
Direction of Growth
The right worker can grow in the company to operate small equipment, receiving training on heavy equipment and moving up, eventually, to a position of group lead or site supervisor.
Job Type: Full-time
- Drayton Valley, AB (Preferred)
- Class 5 Drivers License (Required)
- Standard First Aid and CPR/AED Level C (Required)
- CSO or CSTS-09 (Preferred)
- H2S Alive (Preferred)
- eGSO (Preferred)